Can I leave windows in coop open yet?....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TwoCrows, May 27, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi all. I am new to chickens this year, so I hope this is not a dumb question. I have 4, 11 week old Black Australorp girls which I adore. [​IMG] Our nights are around 50 degrees now and I have been leaving a window open at the opposite end of the coop, along with the vents along the roof, which I always leave open. Right in front is their roost bar is another window which they love to sit and look out the window of. All the windows are also covered with hardware cloth.

So here is the dumb question of the day. Can I leave this window open on them all night? The coop gets so warm during the day. (They have access to a 20' x 30' fenced garden during the day which has plenty of shade.) The prevailing winds are from the south or north and this window is on the east side of the coop. Will the draft hurt them being in their faces all night?

I appreciate any information you have. Thanks....Leyla [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave them open. The fresh air is good for them and they're not that fragile after about 6 weeks. My chicks go out at about 4-6 weeks depending on their size and if the mobile is in use and do just fine. They will huddle if cold and will love the freedom, just be careful of drafts

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They have been out in the coop since they were 5 weeks and have already experienced temps at night in the upper 20's.

But what I want to know is will a window up in their faces at night be too drafty for them?? [​IMG]

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    They'll move themselves away from the drafts.
    It doesn't seem to be too cold at night where you are, so I wouldn't worry.

I have mine out in the coop with all five windows open nite/day and they are fine.

Of course, last night at about midnight it RAINED and I remembered I had left the windows open (I hoped the wind was not blowing).

All was well and no water was inside the coop.

I also left the under eaves rafters open (with hardware cloth) to provide year-round ventilation.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by