Can I let a hen stay broody in an unheated coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csalt, Jan 15, 2011.

1. csalt

csalt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm afraid she'll freeze or at least get frostbite. Should I move her into the garage or try to stop her from sitting on her egg? (She keeps moving it too).

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How cold is it where you are? I like to break my broody girls if I'm not going to let them hatch eggs or foster chicks. Easier on all of us (imo) and she starts laying again sooner too.

3. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    What breed do you have? My broody hatched in late November in MN where the temperature at night ranged from 10 - 30 degrees F. Once hatched, I put a small heater in the coop to keep the temp above 45 for about three weeks. The chicks did great and are now 2 months old. They're still living in the coop with moma and the rest of the flock.

4. csalt

csalt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    She's a Mille Fleur bantam. It's been getting into the low 20's and a few nights down into the teens. I have a heat lamp out in the open area of the coop where they roost but I'm sure the heat doesn't get back to the nesting boxes. I could put a dog pen in the garage and move her in there. It would be a bit warmer.

5. csalt

csalt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    She's a Mille Fleur bantam. It's been getting into the low 20's and a few nights down into the teens. I have a heat lamp out in the open area of the coop where they roost but I'm sure the heat doesn't get back to the nesting boxes. I could put a dog pen in the garage and move her in there. It would be a bit warmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by