Can I Let Chicks Outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by new2chickens2011, Aug 20, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I have two week old chicks and two four day old chicks [​IMG] Can they go outside for a little bit of time in an enclosed pen and of course I would be right there watching them? Temp is in high 90's.
    Thanks![​IMG]

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:In those temps? Sure. Be sure they have water, and maybe some shade, too.

3. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Quote:In those temps? Sure. Be sure they have water, and maybe some shade, too.

Thanks [​IMG]

4. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
  5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Be sure they have water, and maybe some shade, too.

By all means, do NOT put them out in direct sun.​

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  6. Lovemyfarm

Lovemyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    I live in the desert and the chicks I have have been outside all the time! We came home from camping and I was going out to throw away the eggs that this chicken had been sitting on for 4 weeks or so and there was a little chick. It was so cute. So after 4 or 5 days admiring the new little chick I figured it was time to get rid of the other eggs, they must be rotting and there was another chick! Well we let them alone and now we have 3 little chicks and one is sick this morning. The mother wants to go back with the other chickens, when can the chicks be without the mom?

7. Lovemyfarm

Aug 21, 2011
    I love my chickens and did not realize there are so many people loving their chickens! and this site is wonderful.

8. Lovemyfarm

Aug 21, 2011
    where would i get meal worms? I have been giving the babys chicks the scraps and assuming the mom gets them food. is that not correct? maybe this little chick needs some nourishment.

9. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    chickens? not yet :

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x338/gingerbob1954/3%20weeks%20old%20in%20their%20yard/p_00099.jpg

I
    have been taking mine out everyday for a week now and they are 3 weeks old, we stayed out for an hour and a half today. I take cut up mealworms out and they love it, I'm hopeing by the time they can stay out they will be use to the yard. It is so much fun watching them looking at every thing !!
    [​IMG]

I put mine out in a big dog crate. Not only so they can get used to the yard, but so the other chickens can get used to them while they're safe from the big chickens in their crate.​

10. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    You can get them at Wal-mart or a bait shop, in Wal-mart their in the sporting goods dept. look on you tube and learn how to raise them, when you see how crazy your chicks are about them you'll need more!! I live in Kingman, Az. and they cost $1.79 for 35 worms so I'm starting some up!!

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by