Can I let mommy hen raise the kids instead of raised in the brooder

Really should have the hen integrate the chicks for you BEFORE she weans them, which can be anywhere from 3 weeks-ish to a few months (huge range). Otherwise you will need to handle integration as the hen will no longer care for the chicks.

Really should have the hen integrate the chicks for you BEFORE she weans them, which can be anywhere from 3 weeks-ish to a few months (huge range). Otherwise you will need to handle integration as the hen will no longer care for the chicks.
Wait so your telling me I cant just have eggs hatch under the mama and she will take care of the chicks?

Wait so your telling me I cant just have eggs hatch under the mama and she will take care of the chicks?
No, you misunderstood. You said this:
So when the silkie chicks are 5-6 weeks and the mom stops caring for them, I let out the mama and the chicks and the rooster wont kill the chicks?
I'm advising that you plan ahead to have the mama integrate the babies for you. If you wait until AFTER she stops caring for them, she won't do that.

So when the silkie chicks are 5-6 weeks and the mom stops caring for them, I let out the mama and the chicks and the rooster wont kill the chicks?
Generally I let the broodies and their chicks live with the others. The mom should defend the babies.

If they're living together then when the mom stops caring for them the others will leave them alone.

I actually find the other hens are more likely to attack them than the rooster is.

Generally chicks are difficult to add in to an adult flock and you should wait until they're 8 weeks old.

I've never tried having them in the pen but separated I'm not set up for that.

Back
Top Bottom