can i let my baby chicks roam outside a little?

aidensmomma

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
North Central Florida
I got 12 babies a little over 2 weeks ago and they are getting huge! I'm not sure how old they are, all the farm store told me was that when eggs hatch, they get chicks the next day...so I know that my six pullets are 2 weeks old, but the other 6 straight runs are significantly larger then the pullets. Should I let them roam around in the grass every now and then? How do I keep them from running away? I thought about using a laundry basket upside down! but it won't fit all 12
tongue.png
should I wait until the run is built? I would be with them the whole time because we have hawks, fox, minx, coyotes, raccoons, etc... I just don't want to let them out if they will all run away...do they tend to stick around each other? I think i would just put them in a tub to transfer them from the brooder to the yard...please help me with my silly questions! I didn't think I'd get so concerned about chickens! I just wanted 2-3 laying hens and here I am with 12...how did THAT happen?

You'll definitely need some kind of fence to rein them in. They may not be too fast to catch at this age, but if they head in different directions, and run when you try to catch them, you'll have a pickle of a time trying to round them all up. Then wait till the FLYING starts! We have an old above ground pool with no liner that we set up for them to run around in while the kids sat with them and they love it. (we have 15). If you dont have anything like that, try taking them out in shifts, three or four at a time. Even if it's only for a few minutes, thy'll be able to scratch around, get some grit, and bugs, and they will have a great time.

Chicks dont run away. If its warm, and you are there with them, and willing to catch them after... I would let them play outside. Dont leave them alone one second, though. Tons of critters out there that want a chick snack!
smile.png

I'd def recommend it be warm (DUH) lol and have them in some type of makeshift run. You could use some stakes and some 25" wire. Scratch and peck time outside is always enjoyed just keep a close eye out for predators. (cats, dogs,snakes,and larger bids even)

I've been letting my chicks outside near the compost pile and they don't stray far from it because its easy for them to pick out the goodies in it. Usually they stick pretty close together as well. At first I only took 3 or 4 out at a time til I knew they weren't running away. You could also let them loose in a fenced in garden if you have one.

I let mine out at two weeks with a heatlamp they didn't use...The red thing is for them to hide under and for me to sit on.
78206_february_020.jpg

Here are my older chickens looking in. They actually get along well for being exposed to eachother so early.
78206_feb_10_010.jpg

Shadowrooster, you were absolutely right...I put a few out at a time the first time out and they didn't go anywhere. now my 7 year old takes them out, lets them play and scratch, then one by one carrys them back to the brooder... they didn't run away!!! in fact when they get scared they run TO me, not away
smile.png

I let mine out at two weeks with a heatlamp they didn't use...The red thing is for them to hide under and for me to sit on.
78206_february_020.jpg

Here are my older chickens looking in. They actually get along well for being exposed to eachother so early.
78206_feb_10_010.jpg
I know this post is old but I have to take the chance and ask, where did you get this gate?? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom