can I let my chicken run loose.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gayle19, May 25, 2008.

1. gayle19

gayle19 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2007
    warwick
    I have a year old chicken named CC.. She was raised in the house and spends alot of time in the pen we built in the yard. I would like to let her loose during the day in the yard except I'm afraid she'll fly over the 6 foot fence into the neighbors yard. I can pick her up with no problem she doesn't run away from me . but I am still afraid she'll hop the fence..help.. do I trust her?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I think the main problem won't be trusting your chicken...

What about predators?

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you could trim her wings, or if you don't know how, ask someone who does know how to give her a wing trim. That will help to keep her in your yard. Does your neighbor have dogs? If so, I would really keep a close eye on CC while she's in the yard. A good gust of wind can give a surprising amount of lift to a flapping chicken! (or parrot, or cockatiel, or lovebird, or etc. etc. etc. .... )

4. gayle19

gayle19 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2007
    warwick
    I would stay out with her.. or the dog will be with her...but the neighbors have dogs...predators no ,, only at night with a occasional skunk or possum at night..

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    "Chickens don't fly too well generally and usually Cock birds only fly when trying to catch hens for some luuuurve, and hens only fly when trying to get away. We have much worse problems with Guinea Fowl that are good strong flyers. However that said clipping wings should be carried out pretty much the same as for any bird. Its a two person job to be safe. One of you needs to hold the bird securely and gently extend one wing fully. With some good sharp appropriate shears or scissors you need to cut the row of feathers that are furthest away from the leading edge of the wing. These are the long ones that the bird uses to control the flight. Start next to the body and work out cutting around half of the feather away. It doesn't hurt the bird, but it will look pretty p'd off about it. As you work out towards the tip of the wing you can leave the last few feathers in tact and it will then look OK when the wing is folded in. Usually the recommendation is to just clip one wing, the theory being that this destabilises the bird and discourages it from flying more than clipping both wings. We have to clip both wings on guinea fowl, I think they could still fly if you tied one wing behind their backs! You will need to learn from experience, it is a hands on job. If after you have clipped as described above the bird is still flying, try clipping a little more of the feather away. If still escaping try clipping both wings. Start with a little and work up to more, it will build your confidence, and you are less likely to doing anything that will damage your bird."

taken from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Talk:Raising_Chickens/Other_information ,

6. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I would let her out, especially if you will be there with her. She will have a whole new world to explore, no need to work on getting over the fence. Besides, most chickens fly about as well as rocks [​IMG]

7. Faye Rhoden

Faye Rhoden Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    Chickens can get over a fense. Trust me I know. You might build a small fenced in area with a top that you could feel safer leaving your chicken in.

8. EssexGirl

EssexGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hayward
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yeah, right. Mine use props to get on top of the coop and over a 10ft fence if they feel like it. However, they are not tame ... hopefully you'll have better luck, maybe give it a try but keep the treats handy so you can keep her close.

ETA: And that's WITH one wing clipped.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by