Can I let my chickens out of the run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Round Mountain Farm, May 20, 2010.

1. Round Mountain Farm

Round Mountain Farm In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Cherryfield Maine
    I have three chickens around 17 weeks old now and they have a nice 15X15 sized run.....
    I was thinking of letting them out to run around the yard!
    Will they run away or stay close?

How do i get them back into the run?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    How long have they been in their run? Chances are if they've been in there long enough to associate it with their safe place, their home they will not go too far and will put themselves away once the sun starts going down. If not you'll just have to go out there and round them up and put them away.

3. Round Mountain Farm

Round Mountain Farm In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Cherryfield Maine
    They have been in this new home for about 2 weeks now.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm guessing you mean only while you're out there with them??? Sure you can. But know that if your yard or property is not fenced, you'd best be on guard for neighbor's or stray dogs wandering by. There's always some risk when chickens are not behind a secure run. Yours will probably stick really close the first few times, but will venture further as time passes. But if they're only out with you, they'll probably stick near you, their protector.
    Have you taught your chickens about the "treat can" yet??? If not, then I'd probaby take a week or two to get them use to that first, so they'll come at your call and a shake of that can. Buy some scratch, and fill a small can or jar about half way with it. Shake that jar and do you call (chicky chicky or whatever), then either hand feed them a little of the treat or sprinkle a little bit on the ground at your feet. They will very quickly learn that that jar means GOOD things, and will come running when you have it or give that call. Be consistant with it. My girls will come running from across the field when I call or when they hear my treat container shake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: