Can I let my pigeon fly?

Oki&Nawa

Chirping
Sep 9, 2017
Philippines
Greetings!
My pigeon has laid her egg and I’m very proud. She laid another one 2 days after and I’m as excited as a chicken waiting to eat the last piece of oatmeal. My gray pigeon is collecting sticks in the loft I keep them in. I throw sticks in there and they pick it up and bring it to the bowl like container I put in there. I am wondering, can I let them out of the loft to collect their own sticks? The female has 2 eggs now and they are paired. Every time I think about opening the loft my adrenaline kicks in because I am very afraid of them not coming back. Any advice?

(P.S I didn’t know what catagory to put this article in. Correct me if it is wrong!)

I am wondering, can I let them out of the loft to collect their own sticks?
For quality adult homers there instinct to home over rides their instinct to breed. I always let them raise three clutches of eggs before releasing them.

Other breeds or younger pigeons can be done in about 30+ days some fanciers do it in less but "NOT ME".

Last edited:
I'm sure you have heard it said: 'Never fly a bird you can't bear losing.'
As excited as you are about the arrival of babies, I think you would be wise not to risk it. Just keep doing what you are doing and post pics if you can!
:D
Thank you very much :) I will try and post pics soon if I get the chance!

I tested my pigeon, I put a small peice of tape on one of his wings and let him out. The tape lets him fly but not as high. The female remained on the nest and the male waddled back and fourth gathering sticks. I’m just just not feeling the right urge to let them fly and have them possibly abandon their eggs.

not feeling the right urge to let them fly
That is only one problem that can arise when letting them fly or even at large.

I always think twice before flying or releasing any breeders.

If you loose that bird will your blood line and loft be in jeopardy is a question you should explore.

Loss is a part of being a pigeon fancier.

That is only one problem that can arise when letting them fly or even at large.

I always think twice before flying or releasing any breeders.

If you loose that bird will your blood line and loft be in jeopardy is a question you should explore.

Loss is a part of being a pigeon fancier.
The worse of the worse happened. I did NOT intend on opening the loft. However, a relative opened the loft to feed them and my male pigeon flew. He sat back down and was chased away by children, about 18 yards away from my house. He got spooked and I’m very worried. The female pigeon is getting tired of sitting and she is still waiting for her mate to arrive. He flew off on Sunday 3:25PM. There are many cats lying around on the ground. He loves his mate dearly and would spend hours running to get sticks. Will he come back? It breaks my heart to see my female pigeon waiting for him. And I’m also worried on how he is going to eat. (The male is a racing pigeon and he is banded but doesn’t know much about surroundings)

Back
Top Bottom