Can I let them mingle?

spacemonkey333

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
So I have 8 chicks that are 4 weeks old plus. I have a 1 year old silkie rooster, a 15 week old silver and Ameraucana hen, as well as a 19 week old RIR hen. My chicks have been in the coop, in a separate enclosure with my older chickens for 4 weeks. Is it ok to open the door and let them hang together?

Gentle pecking (with the odd hard peck that doesn't draw blood) is expected. In chicken language your hen told that chick, you're lower on the totem pole kid! Each of your older birds will do this to each of the chicks, more often during this 'honeymoon' phase, and less often as time goes on and the chicks mature. Absolutely nothing to worry about, provided that nobody is being outright bullied and blood is not drawn. IF someone is injured to the point of bleeding, remove THAT chick, (isolating them in their normal 'look don't touch' area that you brooded them in and treat them for their wound, apply blu-kote in any color EXCEPT RED, and allow the wound to scab over, without any bleeding (a couple days) and let them back in with the big birds. Chickens will be chickens and establishing pecking order while your babies are still young is MUCH easier on all concerned.

Gentle pecking (with the odd hard peck that doesn't draw blood) is expected. In chicken language your hen told that chick, you're lower on the totem pole kid! Each of your older birds will do this to each of the chicks, more often during this 'honeymoon' phase, and less often as time goes on and the chicks mature. Absolutely nothing to worry about, provided that nobody is being outright bullied and blood is not drawn. IF someone is injured to the point of bleeding, remove THAT chick, (isolating them in their normal 'look don't touch' area that you brooded them in and treat them for their wound, apply blu-kote in any color EXCEPT RED, and allow the wound to scab over, without any bleeding (a couple days) and let them back in with the big birds. Chickens will be chickens and establishing pecking order while your babies are still young is MUCH easier on all concerned.
Ok. So as long as I am observing it should be ok. They are well aware of each other. I just want the little guys out without harm

I guess I need to but blu kote first

When you say the chicks have been in an separate enclosure in the coop, that means both sides have been able to see each other that whole time, correct?

Any photos of your coop and run? Really helps if you have extra feeders and ample clutter and space in the run especially, to provide the chicks with spots to get away from the adults if needed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

I guess I need to but blu kote first
If no one was harmed you wouldn't need it.

When you say the chicks have been in an separate enclosure in the coop, that means both sides have been able to see each other that whole time, correct?

Any photos of your coop and run? Really helps if you have extra feeders and ample clutter and space in the run especially, to provide the chicks with spots to get away from the adults if needed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

If no one was harmed you wouldn't need it.
They were in the coop together. They have been able to see and hear each other. The chicks were in the coop, but in a big dog pen basically. Separate food/water. I just covered the chicks brooder with a tarp so the big ones didn’t poop on them. It’s not huge, but it’s like 14x11’ coop with a good size run. I know I need to expand.

Attachments

• B14C8FBF-B871-4401-A0D3-FE192E80DCCE.jpeg
    B14C8FBF-B871-4401-A0D3-FE192E80DCCE.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 9229738F-98CB-45E1-B7CD-B687AEF89099.jpeg
    9229738F-98CB-45E1-B7CD-B687AEF89099.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 4A91E2A7-0E41-497D-9975-313BBAFFEFC6.jpeg
    4A91E2A7-0E41-497D-9975-313BBAFFEFC6.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7879CF0B-5764-4787-8158-A470056DE59D.jpeg
    7879CF0B-5764-4787-8158-A470056DE59D.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 8
  • A033CF94-15E1-46CB-911F-71C40305FE31.jpeg
    A033CF94-15E1-46CB-911F-71C40305FE31.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2AA38E85-E8AE-4473-8ACA-DE36A7F4A0E3.jpeg
    2AA38E85-E8AE-4473-8ACA-DE36A7F4A0E3.jpeg
    546 KB · Views: 9
They were in the coop together. They have been able to see and hear each other. The chicks were in the coop, but in a big dog pen basically.
Just making sure they could see each other since I've seen some "no touch" chick set ups that are "no see" as well.

The coop actually has some clutter already, how about the run? Even if you free range some clutter closer to the coop would give the babies some options to take cover.

Back
Top Bottom