Can I line my chics brooder with sand????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DixieDame67, Mar 29, 2009.

1. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    question about sand and ..... grit, day or so ago i read play sand plain from wal-mart so i went and got some, i have 17 chicks and after reading the chic mortality causes, quickly started looking for a bigger brooder.....i currently have them in a 10 gal aquarium ....i now have a big clear plastic tote, but i lined the bottom with about 3/4 inch of sand, will that be ok for them to live in?????? i am at this moment heating up the sand lol before i put them in there....anyone know if this will be ok for the chics? they like to get in there feed bowl and waller around so i thought they would love the sand.....if this is not ok somebody speak up please and let me know....Thanks [​IMG]

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My understanding is that they will eat the sand , which is not good.

3. DixieDame67

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    hmmm , that is possible......so ill toss out the sand, what about pine shavings? right now i was using dog training pads , but this is a really big tote so im not sure what to use for there bedding, newspapers?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Pine shavings, paper towels, puppy pads, shredded paper are all ok. Not sand. They will eat too much of it.

5. erik520

erik520 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    mount airy
    yep sand is bad i killed 7 befor using sand please do away with it ...

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    If the chicks are day olds i would use the puppy pads for a few days then switch to pine shavings, sand doesn't give them alot of traction

7. DixieDame67

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    EEEEEEEEEEEeeeekkkkk [​IMG] Immediately tossing out the sand, whew so glad i ask.....Thanks , on my way back to Wal-Mart for pine shavings

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Depending on how old they are I wouldnt use shavings right away. I like to wait atlease a week. Then switch to shavings. Puppy pads work good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by