Can I make a bachelor's pad, or will they fight?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kathyinmo, May 27, 2010.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I would like to have a pen of roosters, so I could use them for breeders if I need to, or maybe even grow some out for processing. My question is, will this work or would they fight (or kill) each other? I was thinking of putting about 10 in a pen. Would they be, "calmer," if they can not see any of the girls, or does that matter?
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    I have heard that as long ass they are rised together and there are no hens to fight over thent hey should be fine... I have seen folks on here raise all their excess roos together (100 at a time) .. So its doable
  3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I am facing the same situation now as well. I have several good roos that I wanna keep for awhile. I am making them a pen now. These are roos that were all raised together so they shouldn't fight anymore than they do now and hopefully less once they are separate from the girls.

So I should place them in a pen where they can't see the females? Does it have to be say on the other side of the yard/property or can I place some bamboo fencing or other solid material inbetween the runs so they can't see each other....or will they go nuts if they even hear the hens?
  4. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I am looking to do the same thing. I have the hen house out back and the soon to be rooster pad out front (currently grow out coop). DH says "that's all fine and dandy until the roosters all make it over to the hens" I free range [​IMG]
  5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have a pen of silkie roosters that get along fine. If you put them together while they are still young they will be OK Once the hormones kick in and you try to put them together you might have world war three. I know of several people who have rooster pens and do not have any problems.
  6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I had a pen of roos before I got hens. They got along wonderfully. Add hens and they will try to kill each other. I think they would have to be kept away from the hens. I think even being close would make it an issue. Mine were raised together but they turned on each other over 4 hens. It was ugly.
    1 person likes this.
  7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

The roosters I want to pen together were not all raised together. Mostly, they are my breeders. My intention is to have all my hens in one large layers coop. I want to put the boys in yet another pen. Then, when I want to breed them, I plan to use a breeder pen. My fear is that they will kill or harm one another. <<<sigh>>> I guess I will just give it a try and see how it works out.

Thanks to all of you for your input and advise!
  8. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I have roos everywhere and I have 3 or 4 in pens with hens all together. All roos will fight, heck even the hens will. But for the most part one will run away. I would just make a couple of hiding places in the new pad where they can [​IMG] if they need to. I think you will be fine.
  9. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    I had 14 roo's all together , and yes they will fight at times , but just make sure the pen or run is large enough -n- bigger than you would if you had both sex'es together make sure there hiding place’s and high perches for the to run and figure who is the master roo and who is on the bottom of the chain so to speak

but you can keep them together -it ruff but they will survive
  10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Neighbor has 10 roos in a pen and 14 hens in a different one. Problem: the roos periodically escape and come over to my place for my hens who free range. My roo is too skittish to put up a good fight. It's like a frat house! Her roos hang out with the boys come see my girls to party and never take any responsibility for the flock! Uggh!

Her roos did fine until she moved the coop so that they could see her hens. Once they could see the hens it became a serious issue. Also, be prepared for some "prison behavior" shall we say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by