Can I make a dust bath UNDER my coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by heiditam, Oct 31, 2014.

1. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    The chickens love sitting under the coop. There is 12 inches of clearance currently. IF I add some peat moss, wood ash, dry earth, is that enough clearance for them to bathe? It is so wet here, and we have alot of clay. I need to find a way to give them some dry dirt to bathe, and under the coop stays dry. Would that work, or do they need more head clearance? Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They will make their own where they can and dig down, no matter what your soil is like. I've never artificially made a dust bath for chickens. They do what they need to do and they'll make craters in your land to dustbathe.

3. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    It is just so so wet here. The soil is very muddy and moist and I have not seen them dust bathe yet. :(

4. speckledhen

How old are they? You can make them something under there, not saying you can't, but eventually, every chicken will dustbathe. Only sick ones don't. [​IMG] Mine will even do it in damp and even sometimes muddy soil if that's all they have. They make do.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. heiditam

Aug 8, 2014
    probably around 22 weeks old or so...They free range so maybe they found a spot I am unaware of, but around the coop it is all dirt(compacted and muddy) and I have not seen the behavior yet. I have been expecting them to use that area since it is the perfect spot for it. They are healthy now-treated them a week ago for Cocci after one of the girls had some blood in droppings. They are up to date on worm and no mice/lice, etc. They are acting totally happy and normal, no concerns about illness-I just want them to bath to prevent any buggies. :)

6. speckledhen

You may not have seen signs of cocci, but the usual intestinal shedding. By their ages, they are usually immune to whatever oocysts are in your own soil. Anyway, they are probably dustbathing somewhere. I've never seen a bird over two weeks old that has never had a dustbath.

7. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    My free range birds ignore any attempt I make to give them areas to dust bathe and go do it where they want in the clay.

If mine are doing it at six weeks I'm gonna bet yours are doing it at 20.

8. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

We made a "dust pit" for ours that we fill with fireplace ash and even though they use it they will scratch up a spot anywhere they want and dust bathe there be it sand, dirt, clay, mud, or what ever. I do on occassion add a little DE to their fireplace ash.

9. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I got a large rubber feeding dish for my chicks and plan to put it out in the run for them when they move out (not that I expect them to confine themselves to dust bathing there, LOL!). But something like that would at least preserve a dry spot for them.

10. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

That is the kind of dish I have scattered round my free range area to have water available for my birds (ducks and chickens). The chickens like to stand in the water when the weather is warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by