1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I "make" a dust bath?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kodiakchicken, May 15, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I've seen a lot of topics and pictures of chickens taking dust baths and I'm beginning to get a little worried. Our property is mostly a pile of rocks. Where there aren't rocks it's heavy vegetation and we get a lot of rain. Kodiak is actually considered a northern tropical climate (we've had over 10 inches of rain in May alone!) I don't have any dust piles or open dirt that the girls can take dust baths in. Can I make one?

They'll be in coop with a covered run and I haven't yet decided if I'm going to put a sub-floor in or leave it on the bare earth (that's my preference but worried about predators). They'll be able to roam the yard when we're home but there still aren't many areas with good, dry, dusty soil for them to bathe in.

Any ideas?

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    If you have part of the run covered they will pick all the grass from it and the soil will dry. When it dries they will make dust pits in it. If you leave the ground floor they will dust in that also. One thing you can do is when you clean out a wood fire place put the ashes in a large box and put that in the coop, they will love it. We have birds that love to dust in fresh shavings and sand also.

3. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    You can use ashes from a fireplace?! I had no idea.....[​IMG]

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Depending on the size of your run you can put a kiddie pool with dirt/sand in it. Or you could make a sandbox and put either dirt or sand it there as well.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I used a 3 ft. kiddie pool with sand and Stall Dry (and soon to be adding Perma Guard, now that I found a place to buy it). [​IMG]

6. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    The kiddie pool is a great idea! I'm already planning on getting one for the ducks to swim in so I can pick one up for the chickens to dust bathe in. Thanks!

(ps - I see my run getting larger and larger and larger!!!)

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I was going to suggest the kiddie pool with sand, too. [​IMG]

8. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    ours made their own, but we add DE too to decrease parasites on the birds.

9. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    You can give fire place ashes to the birds? That is a great idea, but I wouldn't have thought it was safe.

Rachel

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Thats what we were told, the ashes act like DE or something, the ash will irritate the mites and other pests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by