Can I "make" a hen broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Franecca, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Franecca

Franecca Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    We just got 11 hens and 3 roos from church friends who are moving. Ten of the hens laid the very next day, and 7 are laying daily. My ? is, can I make a hen broody, so that she will set some of the eggs? We are new at this, and I would like to have some chicks.

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    No, you cannot make a hen broody. It is a hormonal state, and there's nothing you can really do to control it. Some hens go broody, and some don't. Good luck.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been begging someone to beat me with the broody stick! lol, I have the type of hens that go broody for everyone ELSE! I wanted to put 2 eggs under a hen, but no such luck, not this year...I should be happy that I get from 2 - 5 eggs a day out of 5 girls.

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Seriousbill is correct. The only thing you might do is try to change her hormonal state by breeding her to one of the roos. I keep my roos seperate from the hens and to breed them I put the roo in a 3'x4' cage and let the hen express interest then put her in for a couple of breedings then take her out. After doing this for 3 days the eggs should be fertile. But depending on the breed she may never get broody.

5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Oh, another thing. The three roos may be pestering the poor hens too much for them to get broody. A former neighbor would put a broody hen in with roosters just to break her out of being broody![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by