Can i make a hen go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick123600, Apr 27, 2011.

1. chick123600

chick123600 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I would love to see one of my hens hatch her own eggs, but no one is going broody.

Does anyone have some advice?[​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    What breeds do you have?? some breeds go broody more often that others

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

No, you cannot make a hen go broody. It's hormonal - they either do or don't.

4. chick123600

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I have Buff orpingtons which one has had her own hatch but that was before I got her and the other is actually her daughter.

I have Black stars, black australops, Amerucanas, Easter eggers, one barred rock and one really tiny full grown hen of some unknown breed. Shes a banty defiantly.

5. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    not to over generalize but you are more likely to get the banty going broody than the others, the other breeds have had years of interbreeding for their egg laying qualities. Bantams, because their eggs are too small to be worth breeding for eggs will go broody more regularly, they still have the heritage tendencies of laying a clutch of eggs, then brood and hatch the clutch. I have one Belgian D'Uccle, she is nearly 2, been broody 4 times already, i have BR and RIR, couldnt be less broody if i wished for it!

The Buff Orps are known for being good moms and in general go more broody than the other breeds

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have found that if you want to encourage a hen to go broody leave a pile of eggs around. Every time I start leaving eggs around for a few days I end up with a broody. Of course I also have 2 hens that are known to go broody at the drop of a hat, so it doesn't take much encouragement for them to do so.

Good luck.

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I have bantams and they seem to go broody quite often.... I have one D'uccle that has been broody since november, no lie. Im ready to throw her butt into the run and lock the door lol!!!

8. chick123600

Apr 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Okay then is there a certain time of the year when they are more likely to brood?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by