Can I make a sex-link out of any of these Roos and hens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kansaseq, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Roosters:
    Blue Orp
    Speckles Sussex
    Red Easter Egger (1/4 BO)
    Barnevelder

Hens:

EE (red-blue, red-laced white, and the typical EE colored birds)
    NH
    SS
    Barnevelder

Really want to create a sex-link EE who lays awesome. Any ideas appreciated!

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
  3. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Thank you!!!

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nope, no possible sexlinks with the hens you have.

If you cross an Americana ( or maybe your EE) roo with barred Rock hens, you should get Black Sexlinked EEs.

5. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    What if I crossed my SS hen with a BR roo, or vice versa?

And if I crossed my red EE roo with a BR hen, would the female offspring be solid, and the males barred?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:yes you chicks from a red ee x barred rock hens would be sex link=
    pullets solid black with some red in neck
    roos would be barred

all chicks from a barred roo will be barred

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:What okiehen said about the EE roo X Barred hen is right, you can breed any color roo as long as he is not barred, not dom white, and not hiding barring under white, ( just don't use any barred or white roo) but any other color roo on barred hens will make black sexlinks. So yes, you can breed an SS roo to Barred hens and get sexlinks, I'v done that cross before, all the roos were dark ( het ) barred and the hens where black, so had gold feathering like most sexlinks and some had a little mottling in the breast feathers which molts out eventually. Since they are crossed from a SS, that makes them split mottled ( carrying one copy of the mottleing gene, and if you crossed those sexlink chicks together, you would get half barred and half nonbarred in both sexes and about 25% of them should be mottled, so out of about 16 chicks, you should get approximately 6 black, 6 barred, 2 black mottled, 2 barred mottled.

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    In OEGB is a crele cocnsidered Barred and if so could I use a spangled roo and crele hens and get a similar effect as the mentioned SS BR cross? just and idea I got as I was reading this.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I wasn't sure what you'd get there, I have never though about using crele as barred hens, so I plugged it into the calculator and it turns out that you will get sexlinks but instead of Black Sexlinks, they the females will be Red Columbian ( like the spangle but with out the mottleing) and the males would be Barred Red columbian, and they would be split mottled and would breed like I said eariler to get barred mottled buff columbian if that's what you want.

That is a great idea and I have never thought of that before, go for it !!!!!!!

10. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    No birds right now but as soon as i can have them will have to try it or maybe we can find someone else who wants to try and show us the results. I always liked playing with genetics and always had a good outcome hatching chicks so why not mix the two right? Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by