can i make any improvements?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cluckin tractor, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

can i make any improvements to increase in production or well being of chickens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    One thing I've learned since I started keeping chickens is that there is always room for improvements. The only problems is there's not always enough time..[​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, the first thing that caught my eye was chicken wire. Since you basically have an open air coop, there is no safe place to lock your birds in at night. Personally, I would beef up your wire, as any raccoon or animal of similar size/strength or larger will have no problems tearing through chicken wire. You sure have plenty of ventilation!! [​IMG]

4. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

well i live in australia no racoons or those animals just foxes, possums and wild cats. it is a permanant run wire cemented into the ground, and wire well above my head( at least two meters). hawks or preditory birds are not a problem due to the daily activity and dogs barking at any thing. wild cats really arn't a problem either because of the dogs too, brown snakes can be a problem but again activity around does make a difference. and if we see a brown snake we would generally do something about it because their are small children around. only oce did a fox come and visit with a rooster but we got rid of it with ease and we have a registerd baiting program for foxes because we have sheep and sheep have lambs. i was thinking of addding slots at the back covered with mesh and a piviting flap to stop air flowing when i do not need it. in summer we have 30 plus degrees so i need more ventiliation as they pant if i don't spray water on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by