Can I make mixed breed meatie mutts?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Feb 25, 2012.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I have a flock of various DP breeds: Barred Rocks, RIR, Orp., Wyandottes, Australorps, etc.
    I have a batch in the incubator that will be various mixes. Can I just select the fastest growing, largest birds over a few generations and have some results for a decent meatie mutt, or is that too simplistic?
    Thanks

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure you can. That's what everyone did befor science gave us CornishX........Pop

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Science! Cornish X is just selective breeding at its best.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Genetics is the science of genes so yes science, also there is a lot more to the Cornish Cross than "selective breeding".

Chris

5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    thats what im doing here im useing my extra roosters for meat birds true they might never get as big as the cornish X and they grow much slower but they are nice meaty birds at 16 to 20 weeks and we only have to do a few birds at a time so it does make it easyer for us anyways

6. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    My exclamation of science, meant. No test tube or gene splicing. Yes, genetics is a science.
    What else goes into the Cornish Cross other then selective breeding?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The CornishX is selectively bred, but has been bred for over 50 years. The commercial layers? Same thing. The huge genetics conglomerates spend millions on research. Further, the parent stock is not merely a two way cross of birds A and B. The ISA Brown layer, as well as the CX, use grandparent stock A, B, C and D. It is quite a science indeed.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

To the OP.

I agree with Pop. It's what has been done for centuries.

9. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    I would be interested in how your project turns out.
    I have started a simular project with Easter eggers, jersey giants and welsummers.
    Am hoping the Jersey giant will lend a larger size frame to the welsummer x Easter egger mix.
    So far the Welsummer x Easter egger has produced a large, fast growing male offspring, with the female offspring being faster to mature and lay than the Easter egger girls. Added bonus to the femal offspring are the blue, pink and green speckled eggs. makes a beautiful contrast with the pure welsummer eggs. As soon as I find some Delaware to add to the mix I will see how the cross breeding turns out.
    Mutts for sure in the works.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well knowing what four breeds to breed and in what order to breed them for one.
    You also need to know about Cp gene, Feed Conversion, etc. The basic Cornish/ Rock cross is a slow growing leggy fowl that's feed conversion is very poor.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by