1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I make my duck coop into a chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I butchered my ducks last week, and because they are quite messy, I would like to consider chickens NEXT SPRING. I'd get 15 or so chicks and raise them. Can I do that, or are there health risks associated with the ducks, duck poop, etc?

2. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    In my experience, chickens are far messier than ducks because their poop is harder to manage. Duck poop can be hosed into the soil for the worms and vegetation to feed on but chicken poop is "hot" so it must be discarded or composted. Because it does not break down like duck poop, chicken poop attracts more flies and stinks more if you are not cleaning constantly. Our ducks are relatively maintenance free with water changes being the most time consuming, although the dirty duck water is excellent fertilizer so it is a benefit of keeping ducks.

Chickens need to be locked up every night and coops need to be openened every morning because chickens are night blind. Chickens bathe in dirt instead of water so they dig out dirt craters and fling dirt everywhere. There are more chicken diseases and chickens have more health issues so they need more routine preventative medications than ducks.

If the ducks were too much for you I suspect you will not like how much more care chickens require. It is possible for ducks to be asymptomatic carriers of chicken diseases but if your ducks were not exposed to chickens you should be fine in that respect.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, you can convert the Duck house into a Chicken coop...Just clean it out and put up roosts and nest boxes...
    I believe this is the answer you were looking for? I have Chickens and Ducks..They share the free range area...
    The Chickens will be fine...

Best of Luck next spring with your new Chicks!

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Just clean it out and make whatever changes you want for the chickens.
    If you are concerned the ducks may have left 'something' behind, spray the coop/ground around the coop and pen if you had one with bleach water. But there really shouldn't be an issue with using it as is.

My chickens live upstairs from my ducks. They share the same food/pen and they free range together (sometimes they actually are together instead of ducks in one area and chickens in another). I've never had health issues from my setup.

5. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    If it's going to have time to sit for a season before you put animals into it, I really like using "Odoban". It's a product made for spraying houses and making them smell "clean" but it's also a really good and safe disinfectant. We used to use it when I worked in motels to sanitize rooms. Its made with eucalyptus---- I still wouldnt put any animals in for at least 30 days though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington

All our coops are raised so the ducks get the basement too! We also let them range together at times but separate them when we have sitting ducks because the chicken hens bother the duck hens and will even lay in their nests. The ducks don't bother the chickens, though.

7. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I think you situation is much different than mine. My coop does not have access to a hose, or electricity, so my duck poop just gets mixed into muck by my ducks, especially when it rains. It smells very bad, try as I might to clean it up. Not because I don't clean but because my ducks take my dirt floor (in the outside half of the coop) and mix it up until the dirt floor is a wet mud-hole. Ducks were not too much for me, just the mess was difficult to manage. I'd love to try chickens, or some other good bird that lays eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by