Can I make my hen broody ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seamillbees, Oct 18, 2015.

1. seamillbees

seamillbees Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    I was wondering if I could make a hen brood for hatching out ducklings.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hens go broody when their body tells them to do so, and not all breeds go broody. What breed hens do you have? Some feel that allowing a hen to 'build a clutch' of eggs can encourage broodiness - I am not certain that is a fact. If you do get a broody hen they can very effectively hatch and raise ducklings. Some will not go the extra time required for incubating duck eggs, but most will.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    *2. There are some breeds that are more likely to go broody than others (so i have read here) so maybe search for breeds that go broody and consider getting a couple?

CT

4. seamillbees

seamillbees Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Thanks for your replies.

5. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    My breeder said that there are folks out there who are trying to breed broodiness out of chickens.
    Sounds stupid to me.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's already been done in several breeds. Leghorns are almost impossible to get to brood, for instance. One broody cycle can take a hen out of egg production for 3 months, so from an economic standpoint it makes sense to breed it out for production layers.

1 person likes this.
  7. crank

crank Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Utah
    I am in roughly the same spot right now. I HAD a broody Black Copper Maran. I was going to use her to raise some fertilized eggs. However, by the time I confirmed she was serious, tracked down some fertile eggs, got a second enclosure(to keep her from getting distracted by the hens while in the nesting box), etc... She stopped going broody. Now, I am trying to induce her to go broody again with a clutch of fake eggs, in her own coop and run. I made the other little coop and run so in is connected to the existing one and the flock can visibly see her when she goes out, to minimize any social disruption. So, far I have not had any luck in inducing her to go broody.

8. crank

crank Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Utah
    *UPDATE* I could not induce my previously broody Black Copper Mar to be broody again. In fact she started to lay eggs again. Oh, well maybe next time.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There is a time to sow, and a time to reap.

Likewise there is a time for a hen to set and there is a time for her to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by