Can I make one of my friendly silkies "adopt" new cochin chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by California_chickie, Feb 18, 2012.

1. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    So, this might be a dumb question- I've looked around the boards, but can't find anyone else who has asked this question yet, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere!

I bought 4 adorable little cochin chicks yesterday at the feedstore (vaccinated, reputable place) because I had an unsuccessful hatch recently and was itching for chicks & my brooder was already set up (yes, kind of an impulse buy but I was trying to soothe the pain!) so now I have these little fluffers in my garage all warm in their brooder but lonely. There's just not that many of them.
    I have 7 Silkies in my backyard coop and a couple have just started to go broody (they're about 10 months old) they're all loves and very friendly. Would it be a horrible idea if I brought one into the garage for a little bit with the hopes that maybe she would become their "mama"? I'd keep the chicks in their brooder till they were old enough of course...any feedback would be much appreciated[​IMG]

2. Kiki A

Kiki A Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    I think that it would be ok, Im getting some new chicks in April, but my girls are only a year old so and i don't have a rooster so this is my first time with chicks and hens together.

3. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    If you have hens that are truly broody they might take the chicks. I think you are suppose to sneak them under when the hen is sleeping (at night) Otherwise best to raise them apart and merge later when they are at decent size. (This is what I do)

4. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    thank you so much for the advice! I'll let ya know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by