can I make sexlinked chicks using a FBCM and

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Jan 14, 2011.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    what??? I would like to add some hatchery pullets this year that when breed with Marty a French Black Copper Marans roo would produce a se linked chick. I am aiming for a dual purpose where I could sell the pullets and immediatly start the boys on a broiler feed for processing for the family.

Does anyone have any sugestions of a breed that would work?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Four Oaks Bantams

Four Oaks Bantams Out Of The Brooder

The only one i know is if you breed a marans male to an americana female they will produce olive eggers. The eggs will be olive color.

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:I edited my response till I check into it more indepth I think I missed that one for know
    catdaddy

Ok I checked it out in the thread by tadkerson on sex links and I had it correct.

You can use the BC male over a Barred Rock(or any Cuckoo patterned female) Dominique, Cuckoo Marans, ect... the male offspring will feather out like the hen (at hatch they will be black with a definate white head spot) the female will feather out black with some red leakage in the neck and breast area will look like BC hens most probably (at hatch they will be solid black/or black with reddish-brown heads).

Maybe that'll help you out with your choices, I hope? [​IMG]

catdaddy

PS you can PM tadakerson and he can give you more input than me, most definatly. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Use a barred bird. (Like a good cuckoo Marans if you want to keep the Marans egg color)

If you want a meatier bird though, look around for other breeds to cross out with. I'm using barred Shamos for mine, but of course that requires keeping the males separate, being in a warm enough climate or confinement, etc.

(Make sure the barred bird is the female)

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh good I was thinking I could use a barred rock but I thought it would only work if the black roo had a silver backround and I figured the copper blacks had a red backround so to speak.

I dont care about egg colorr although I do make olive eggers in my flock as well as FBCM [​IMG]

so my offspring from FBCM roo over barred Rock hens will produce males with a white spot on head and females with no spot on head?

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Yes it will good luck in your endeavours

catdaddy

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, however unless your Barred Rock is a heritage bred bird, you won't get the best meat offspring.

Blacks usually do have a silver background if they're from BBS stock, but it won't help in sex-linking, because you'll only notice it months later.

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

catdaddy

Yep, for making black sexlinks, it doesnt matter if the roos base is Silver, Gold, or Split, he just has to be NON barred on BARRED hens. so yes FBCM X BR will make black sexlinks.

FBCM roos being gold based would also "technically" make Red Sexlinks when breed to Silver hens, BUT with the Birchen pattern, the chicks would look about the same as chicks and wouldnt be sexable as chicks.

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester

catdaddy

Yep, for making black sexlinks, it doesnt matter if the roos base is Silver, Gold, or Split, he just has to be NON barred on BARRED hens. so yes FBCM X BR will make black sexlinks.

FBCM roos being gold based would also "technically" make Red Sexlinks when breed to Silver hens, BUT with the Birchen pattern, the chicks would look about the same as chicks and wouldnt be sexable as chicks.

so when you say silver would a white hen surfice, or a columbian?? or is that incorect. Other trhan bared is there any color that would easy to sex as chicks?

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep, for making black sexlinks, it doesnt matter if the roos base is Silver, Gold, or Split, he just has to be NON barred on BARRED hens. so yes FBCM X BR will make black sexlinks.

so when you say silver would a white hen surfice, or a columbian?? or is that incorect. Other trhan bared is there any color that would easy to sex as chicks?

Silver Gened hens are anything with Silver in the name ( Silver laced, Silver Penciled, Silver Duckwing, ) Anything Silver Columbian colored ( Light Sussex, Light Brahmas, Columbian Wyandottes, Delawares) And the only sure solid white breed would be the hatchery RIWhites. Dont use white Rocks and other recessive white breeds, you never know what they are masking. But any of those hens with a pure gold gened rooster would make Red Sexlinks, but using a BCM roo may make them harder to sex singe the birchen patterned birds are mostly black at hatch.

And Barred hens are the only ones that can make black sexlinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by