Can I mark my chics with magic markers to tell them apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wateredgarden11, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Wateredgarden11

Wateredgarden11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Ok so my DH just brought us home our first chicks ever! I have lurked at this forum for last month and caught chick fever from all of you! [​IMG]
    We thought we were getting RIR however he came home with 6 Gold Sex links which is what came in today at TSP. They are so cute!
    I have one problem, I can't tell them apart. I would like to just lightly touch each chick's head with a colored marker (diff. color per chick) so I can keep track of who is eating and who is drinking. Would this hurt them? Bad idea? Gosh, not since I had my last child have I been this excited and scared and they are just little darlings!

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Worked for me, but don't use any red or pink otherwise the other chicks will peck on the spot.

3. Wateredgarden11

Wateredgarden11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Thanks for replying, I will make sure to not use red or pink. I have a ruby ring and they already peck at that on my finger when I put my hand in the brooder ..gosh I already love these peeps![​IMG]

4. nikki24

nikki24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    I have 37 and I marked the ones who would come to me so I'd know who I needed to work on.I just put a spot of green on there heads.It wears off after about a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by