Can I mix 2- 8 week old chicks with 6- 6 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brandon00733, Jun 21, 2016.

1. brandon00733

brandon00733 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2016
    Mid Florida
    My Coop
    Hi we want to get a rhode island red but it is not a must. I found somebody that has an 8 week old and he suggested I do 2 that way if my girls dont accept shel'l have her buddy from her litter... Im worried because I've heard rhode island reds can be a little more aggressive... any opinions... I can always wait...

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can just put them together and watch them for a while to see what happens.

3. brandon00733

Apr 25, 2016
    Mid Florida
    My Coop
    Do you thinkbibneed to get two?

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't think that the younger ones will reject the older one, but if you want to get 2 that's up to you

5. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    I can do this just fine because they have a lot of space (I have no fencing, just great guard dogs) to run away from each other if they start pecking. If you do have a big brooder, then yeah. But I would just put them in together, and give them a couple hours. If the pecking is really bad, I would pull them out :)

6. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I've raised RIRs for several years now they are a little more aggressive towards each other and never try to get eggs from under them! Lol they are feisty! But other than that they are great I love them, they lay good and produce yummy brown eggs and a lot more. I just have always had good luck with them and I like them a lot.
    Good luck and have fun with your birds!
    Jenna

7. brandon00733

Apr 25, 2016
    Mid Florida
    My Coop
    Thank you guys I actually found somebody closer to us that will match the size of our current chicks! So hopefully they'll all get along!

8. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    I hope the best to you and your flock! :)
    Jenna

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would never add a single bird. Best to do at least 2. Wishing you the best with your additions. Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by