Can I mix 30 two day old chicks with 3 little older copper marans? See picture.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MagicLove, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MagicLove

MagicLove Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Athens, Georgia
    Oh my goodness...could you pack anymore cuteness in a box! I'm so excited to have all these cute baby chicks at once. Question....can I put my two day old chicks with the three copper marans I bought that are a little older? [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes. How many chicks total, and what size brooder? You'll have to keep an eye on them. What age difference?

3. MagicLove

Feb 16, 2015
    Athens, Georgia
    30 chicks, it's good size for now. 3x4 maybe more. I'm not exactly sure what age the marans are. Under two weeks for sure.

4. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Good to see a fellow Georgian on here! I think you should be fine, but that brooder will not be big enough for long for that many chicks. Do you have their coop ready? We are looking like good weather is finally here and in a couple weeks they should be ok to transition to the coop. I just know that I have a slightly bigger brooder than 3x4 and it is barely holding my 10 5 week old chicks who are thankfully going into the coop tomorrow!

1 person likes this.
  5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Another Georgian here! nice to see y'all!

you shouldn't have any trouble putting those chicks with the Marans. I actually put some day olds in with my 3 and 4 week olds for a while. They didn't pick on them or try to keep them away from the food or anything, but when the bigger ones would get to 'horsing' around, haha, they'd not realize they were all over the little ones. I put up a divider in my brooder to separate them for at least a week, needless to say the older ones are NOT happy chicks with me.

you will definitely need a bigger brooder, and sooner than you think! they'll almost double in size each week the first four weeks!

yes Ritz, I'm glad the cold has finally eased on out, now if the rain would stop I could get my coop finished and get these (and the heat lamps, and the smell and the dust, HA) out of the kitchen

6. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Georgia represented strong on this thread! lol Yea luckily the only thing left with my coop is the roof that I have to put on. I am determined come hell or high water that it is going on tomorrow. lol Luckily mine are in my heated basement but going down to get something out of the freezer is pretty rough, even though I clean their brooder pretty regularly. I love it though!

7. MagicLove

Feb 16, 2015
    Athens, Georgia
    I have this small 3x4 brooder, a 10 nesting box coop with a run which I have 9 adults now. My husband is going to build one big new one with a large run and separate areas for chicks and adults. He better hurry up though! Lol

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  8. MagicLove

Feb 16, 2015
    Athens, Georgia
    Old pic, this is my main coop right now but a bigger and better designed one is going to be built so we can get rid of these two coops and just have one big one.[​IMG]

9. MagicLove

Feb 16, 2015
    Athens, Georgia
    Old pic, this is what I have my chicks in now but I have added a four sided box in the middle with a hole to break the wind. [​IMG]

10. RitzHomestead

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    Nice, good looking flock, is that Roo a BO? How is his temperament? I have a roo that is a BO at 5 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by