Can I mix Blue and Lavedar Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rain Rider, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Rain Rider

Rain Rider Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Can I mix Blue and Lavedar Orpingtons? I love the blues and the lavendars. I currently have a Blue Orp. Rooster and two Blue Hens. I know black and splash make blue, and blue makes black, splash and blue. But what about the Lav? Can I get Lave hens. I do plan to hatch some of my eggs.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    you can but all the babies well be lavender splits and how ever buys ur chicks should know this because when they breed there blue togeather there not going to think there getting lavender

3. Rain Rider

May 17, 2009
    So, responsibly, it would not be encouraged then? Thank you. I'll wait to get Lavs till I have a way to seperate two flocks.

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the one thing is blue have better type then lavenders so if ur working on type u can mix them

5. Rain Rider

May 17, 2009
    I do not show. I’m just a back yard chicken lover. However, I did not want to make a horrible mistake right in beginning. I want to be a responsible pet chicken owner.

6. tgrlily

tgrlily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Better to use black with good type than blue. Blue makes a genetic mess. Black + Lav is straightforward & responsible. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by