Can I mix cedar and pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Messipaw, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Can I mix pine and cedar small animal bedding in my coop and run. I use the DLM in my coop and our run is covered and wrapped in plastic with top ventilation. [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Cedar is often considered harmful to chickens, is there any alternative you can use?

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    As stated above cedar shavings are no good for chickens. Can you just use all pine?

4. Messipaw

Apr 3, 2013
    Tomorrow I will rake and leave the coop doors open. Will they be OK mixed in that way. The only way to get them out of my coop now would b to clear out all of my deep liter

5. Messipaw

Apr 3, 2013
    I can open the two front Windows all the way tomorrow. On the back wall across from the Windows is a vent that stays open year round. I leave the poop door open as well. Tomorrow I will leave the people door open as well. In my pen we have the front and back walls without plastic. There is also top arch vents. If I mix and mix should I be OK. It really wasn't a big bag. It was about two feet by one foot.

6. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    You won't notice instantaneous results with cedar but I'm sure it weakens their immunity to other things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by