Can I mix ducks and chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ritzzy, May 12, 2010.

1. ritzzy

ritzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Crystal Lake IL
    Since I have 3, two day old chicks in the brooder box, and am now expecting some newborns in the next couple days, and then 7 ducklings after that, can I put ALL the babies together? Even the (7 day old chicks by then) with the newborn ducklings? Or do i need a separate brooder?

Sorry for all the questions, but just want to get it right!

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    yes you can ducks are piglets and will need to be cleaned out daily but they can go together, obviously keep an eye and make sure everyone is getting along.

3. lizareny

lizareny Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    I've done this twice with no problems from chicks and ducklings messing with each other BUT! LOL...within the week I had separated them cuz of the ducks! Grrr, water hogs, they just play and play in it, make giant puddles and messes. It's very cute, but was easier on me to split them up.

4. ritzzy

ritzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Crystal Lake IL
    [​IMG] I remember my ducklings being water hogs! They were just adorable but it was a ton of work! I would put them in a small pool of warm water and they would just swim for hours! Could barely get them out. [​IMG]

Oh boy, this is getting me excited about my ducklings!! Happy dance.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    This is a good question! I am hoping to have duckies soon! they are due to hatch next week [​IMG] I was wondering do you guys use the shavings for ducks also? or is there an easier bedding to deal with the mess?

6. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I have my ducks sepparated because of the mess, Now they are in a pen that access's my pond and there is a goose that has adopted them. Wild giant canadian and she is everfaithful and frightening.

7. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    DH and i had ours together....we will never do it again

the ducks make a huge mess w/ the water....i was completely cleaning out the brooder every other day...too much work...too much for the compost pile to handle all @ once also

they all got along until about 2 weeks ago when the ducks outgrew the chicks in size....they were roughly about the same age...give or take a few days....had bantys in w/ them also...like i said...no problems getting along in the beginning

ETA: once we put the ducks in an outside pen by themselves the chix became much friendlier also...didnt run everytime we opened the door....the ducks wigged out and the chix followed...lol

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  8. lizareny

lizareny Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Honestly, for bedding for ducks I used newspaper. Layers and layers and LAYERS of it, not shredded, just the full sheet.....3-4x a day I'd peel the top layer off, wad it up and throw it away. Worked great for me.

9. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I cant seperate mine now the chickens think they are ducks and cry like crazy if they are not together, but I agree it is a ton of work

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    You have 6 to 7 days before the mess starts, so put them together now and get another brooder ready!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by