Can I Mix Ducks With My Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1possum1, Mar 19, 2013.

1. 1possum1

1possum1 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Hey guys! I have 11 chickens, 6 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Barred rocks (one was killed by a coyote). My daughter wants to get a couple Rouen ducks. Is it possible to get a few Rouen duck eggs and have my chickens incubate them naturally? My husband and I really don't want to have to build another coop but we have heard of chickens killing other new birds in the past? what should I do!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!? thank you sooooooo much!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, 1possum1, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I would advise against raising them together. If you have adult chickens with ducklings, the chickens will be rough on the ducks. And as they grow older, I understand a male duck will kill a hen chicken when he breeds her. You might post over in the duck thread for more advice on this. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

2 people like this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I agree with Redsoxs. Plus ducks are extremely messy. That mess can make the chickens sick.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. 1possum1

1possum1 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    Thank you so much! Great to hear I'm welcomed and thanks for the advice! I'll have to go build a coop soon then, once the snow is gone!
    But I Dont really want to spend the money to make a giant coop but i heard rouen ducks perch. Can i have a perch out side their house or does it need to be inside their house? and do i need nesting boxes or will they just lay inside their house? thanks guys!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. 1possum1

1possum1 New Egg

Mar 19, 2013
    GREAT THANKS GUYS! but i dont want to build a real big coop any design or tip ideas!? and i heard rouen ducks perch... do i need a perch in their house or can i put one outside in the run? do i need nesting boxes or could i just let them lay around the coop? thanks

8. RooRidgeFarm

RooRidgeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    For me it wasn't the chickens killing the ducks, although I think that could happen possibly. The male ducks were molesting my chickens [​IMG], I even had a ROOSTER get molested!

Ducks are much more messy than chickens and they will keep things damp and poopy. I'd highly recommend (even if you only have females) is a separate area for the ducks.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Rouens do not perch and don't really need a nesting box

1 person likes this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 redsoxs gives good advice - welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by