Can I mix the breed of chickens I raise

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DeniseJo, Jan 15, 2010.

1. DeniseJo

DeniseJo New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    I am ordering my chicks for the first time I like the Rhode Island reds and a few other breeds. I am looking for a docile breed that is not real broody as I will have my grandchildren around. I would like to mix the breeds but I do not know if that is wise. Also do I need a rooster? Help

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Most breeds of chicken can live together just fine. YOu do not have to have a rooster if you want eggs only.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. DeniseJo

DeniseJo New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    Thank you houndit, I know I do not need a rooster for eggs but I have read they protect the hens and if you do not have a rooster a hen will take the role of a rooster, have you encountered this

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Happens sometimes, but it doesn't mean it WILL happen. Sometimes pushy hen will do when it means keeping the flock in line.

That doesn't mean you'll get freaky Jurassic Park hen and suddenly a ton of surprise chicks. Ya still gotta have a roo for that.

5. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I'm glad to see you're doing a little research before getting chickens. It will save you a lot of frustration and mistakes later.

Its perfectly fine to mix breeds, as long as your intent isn't to get a breeding program going. I have 3 different breeds living happily together. I don't have a rooster either, by the way.

If you want docile birds because of the grandchildren, double think a rooster. They get quite protective of their girls. Bantams, although cute, can be a bit feisty as well.

You'll see several people will chime in with their experiences. Some with differing opinions. I do know that Orpingtons are known for their being a calm and docile bird, just by nature. My Austrolorp is gentle, which doesn't surprise me seeing there's Orpington in the breed heritage. My EEs are mellow also, although a bit on the shy side. Don't forget to consider hardiness for your weather. Some breeds do better in warmer climates while others fair harsh Winters better than others. Winter egg production may even be a factor for you. Some lay better in the Winter.

What ever breed you decide to go with, daily handling with make a world of difference if you want them tame enough for the grandkids to pet. (My Black Australorp has the softest feathers of the breeds that I've known. [​IMG])

Have fun learning!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have six different breeds (listed in my signature line) in my seven chickens. They don't seem to mind that none of them look like each other. [​IMG]

My Australorp is buddies with the Cuckoo Marans, and also with the EE pullet. Separately. She hangs out closely with either one, doing different things. But she's always with one or the other. My Buff Orpington also likes to hang out with the Cuckoo Marans. The Black Sex-link is on the bottom of the pecking order, but only the Orpington is "mean" to her. (Occasionally the BO will take a treat from the BSL, or peck at her back when she's in her way going for something she wants.) If any one of the chickens heads off in a particular direction, in a hurry, most of the rest of them will immediately follow. They all hang out together when they sun themselves, but can spread out over some space in smaller groups, with their best buddies.

7. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:We have several hundred birds at any given time. I always have bossy hens. When we did not have a rooster hens would mount each other. Right now we have about 30 roosters and I have not seen any hens doing that. Enjoy the forum, and raising chickens. [​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yes you can mix the breeds!!
    I would not recommend a rooster around young children, although I really like having a rooster in my own flock. I have no children with opposable thumbs [​IMG]

The friendliest hen I have is a red sex-link of unknown parentage, what they call a Red Star. She also has the softest feathers compared to my other birds. The calmest/quietest are my Buff Orpingtons, they are so quiet I barely know that they are in the yard! Most hens will be fine if you handle them and get them really social to you.

The only ones that I have experience with that I would NOT recommend for kid's pets are the Leghorns. They aren't mean or even unfriendly, but they startle VERY easily.

9. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    1. yes you can mix the breeds together, just i wouldn't (personally) put bantams and heavy breeds together.

2. No you dont need a rooster, but you can have one if you want (dont put two (or more) roosters together in one pen)

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    1. [​IMG]
    2. You can put mixed breeds together.
    3. You do not need a roo BUT I love my roo. I highly recomend you get a roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by