Can I mix them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mike32, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I have 25 9 week old pullets and 27 that are 5 weeks old. Can I mix the two groups? Or should I move the older group in with my adult flock? Thanks

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I think you'll have problems either way. It's better if the chicks are nearly adult size before mixing them and the older chicks would be really hard on the younger ones if you tried that.

I didn't see anything about how many chickens you have in your adult flock. If the youngsters outnumber them by 1/2 or better you might be able to cheat a bit and put the older chick flock in with them around 11-12 weeks or so. You're still going to have to keep a close eye on them for a few days and make sure they have plenty of room to run/hide from the big girls.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can the 9 week old chicks and the 5 week old chicks see each other now? If so, you might be able to put them together.

I wouldn't risk putting either group in with the adults though.

4. Mike32

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    Sorry I did forget to mention that. I have 29 hens and 2 Roos.

Actually I have them in two different areas. I put 2 of the 5 week olds in with the 9 week last week for a couple of minutes just to test them and nothing happened. It was only a couple minutes though so I figured that was why.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I tried that this summer and it didn't go good at all. The older chicks were even more aggresive to the younger ones then the hens were to the older batch. I ended up combining my 11 week old chicks with the hens. The only reason it worked out (I think) is because they had lots of room and there were only 6 hens to 15 youngsters. The hens had so many targets that they got tired and gave up before things got too bad. I had to wait until the younger batch was nearly full size before putting them in with the rest of my flock.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I put some ~5 week olds in with ~7 week olds. It was rough on the babies.

I took the older ones out except for one.
    I put a relatively gentle pullet from the older group in with the babies for about 4 days so that they bonded somewhat. That seemed to help alleviate a lot of the segregation, and the pecking order seemed to settle out better when I re-mixed them. Also the 5 week olds gained some size during that time too.

7. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I have a mixed flock from 3 weeks to 18mos and no issues. I keep the 3 week olds in their own brooder box at night, but during the day, they are mixed in with all the others.

8. Mike32

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    Thanks everyone, I'll probably just keep them separate for a little longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by