Can I mixed 3 week old corturnix with newborns?

lostsoulhelpmejebus

Incubating Fool
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Roanoke, Illinois
I have 3) coturnix that are about 3 weeks old...may I add my newborns to the same brooder? So far I have 5 newbies, hopefully more by the time the weekend is here. I know with chickens as long as the newbies outnumber the older chicks I have not had a problem. Would this be true of quail as well?

I would not do that!! The older ones get very nosy and will pick them to death most likely. I put a small partition in my brooder for the new ones. Once they get a week or so old then I put them together as by then they can run away plus they have the same brooder smell cause they were next to the older ones. Brad

Quote:
Thanks so much for your answer! These are actually your eggs that are hatching! They will go into the brooder this evening so I can watch and see what happens for several hours.

One is completely yellow and I have one that is much darker than the browns I recognize. Maybe I can post a pic this evening...all I know are goldens and browns.
big_smile.png

The yellow would be an A&M. The dark one is probably a tibetan. They are so cute when they are itty-bitty!
love.gif
You might want to put something in there for the babies to hide in. I put brand-new button quail babies in with 4 and 5 week old buttons and didn't have any problem. Just be sure that you watch them pretty good for the first little while.

Back
Top Bottom