can i move 3 week old chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by herbsherbsflowers, Jun 10, 2008.

1. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    HI everyone,

OUr chicks have been in my husbands office for 3 weeks now. They are starting to generate a lot of dust and he is concerned about his computers. We have space in a breezeway between the office and the house to put them. They would be up on a table in a very large dog crate. It has been very hot here but is supposed to be cooling off tomorrow. They would be completely in the shade and we could even set up a fan to move the air around.

What do you think?

Oh, we gave the buff orpington roosters away today. i have to change my signature.

2. herbsherbsflowers

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    Hope someone has some ideas about this. I'm in a quandry.

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    They can definitely go outside, as long as you have them safe from preditors, enough warmth at night, a light may still be in order, as it does cool off in the early hours.

Keep them out of a draft.

Just do all the things you normally would inside. Just out of the house.

Dilly

4. herbsherbsflowers

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    Thank you so much. I thought it would be ok, just wanted someone else to back me up a little bit.

5. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I have my brooder in my chicken coop. My 4 week olds have had access to the outside run for over a week and LOVE it! You should see them chase the bugs! I still have a brooder light in the coop for them to warm up under - but lately they've been ignoring it and sleeping in the nest boxes!

My little 1-weekers are out there too in a cardboard brooder with a big plexi-window so the older chicks can see them. They have never been in the house either.

They should be fine! Just keep them warm, dry and fed and they'll grow like weeds! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. herbsherbsflowers

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    Well they made it through one day outside. It got pretty hot in the afternoon. They were just laying around when I got home but they seemed to perk up after I got home and moved the fan around so that it made it somewhat cooler. They all seem to be doing fine. A couple were acting pretty strange this morning but we figured out that they were trying to take a dust bath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by