Can I move a hen once her egg has pipped?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickieG'ma, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ChickieG'ma

ChickieG'ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Port Townsend, WA
    My cochin hen has been setting on her eggs (2) in a small two story hutch separated from the rest of the flock. Her nest is on the bottom floor which is completely covered in hardware cloth but still has contact with the ground. She had a nice thick layer of shavings for her nest but the last 24 hours have been really rainy [​IMG] and now the very bottom, under her belly and breast is really damp from water running under and the first egg had pipped when I went to check on her a little while ago.

Can I pick her up and move some dry shavings in, replace the eggs and let her get back to it? She is very calm when we check the eggs, just talks to us and lifts herself up while we reach under, then again to put the egg back. This is her first clutch but she has been totally serious, in the zone for the last 21 days. So far, a good mama. [​IMG]

What do you guys think?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    KEEP IT DRY! I don't move hens until the hatch is complete.

3. ChickieG'ma

ChickieG'ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Port Townsend, WA
    Thanks for your help. I did go out and put some flakes of straw around the outside of the hutch to stop (hopefully) any more rain running under it. I would hope the chick should hatch by morning. Then I'll put some dry shavings in there for her to make a dry nest for her and her babe.

Thanks again for the help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by