1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I move a nest?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TNGuineaGirl, Aug 4, 2011.

1. TNGuineaGirl

TNGuineaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Yesterday one of my guinea hens went missing and I found her on a nest of eggs. My Guineas are free range, but I have a lot of predators and have not actually been able to keep a flock long enough to start laying eggs. So this is a first for me. If I leave her on the nest for the next few weeks I feel sure something will get her. So should I move her and her eggs to a secure area (I have a coop and a pen I have used to raise keets in) or should I just get the eggs and incubate them myself. And if I move her will she continue to sit on them and is there any sort of protocol for this type of thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    If you want/need her keets, then I'd collect and incubate the eggs, and also destroy the nesting area so she doesn't return to that spot.

Most Guinea Hens (there are very few acceptions) will abandon their nest if you disturb the Hen or the eggs. They are not like broody chickens and most will abandon their nests over even the slightest change.

She will find a new spot to lay shortly after you take her eggs, so be on the lookout for her new chosen spot.

Good luck!

3. TNGuineaGirl

TNGuineaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Thanks for the info! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I had to go out of town unexpectedly. But I did put the eggs in the incubator and the hen is the coop. So we shall see how this goes. Thanks Again!

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Wise choice, didn't lose your Hen or her eggs [​IMG] Hope you get some adorable lil keets!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by