Can I move my chick out to the coop? Even the little runt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goindutch, Jul 2, 2016.

1. goindutch

goindutch New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    Hi. I am new to raising chickens and I have read through many posts and books so far, but I have a small dilemma that I am seeking advise on and have yet to find an answer to. In May I got 4 new baby chicks and 2 pullets. I have had my baby chick for about 6 weeks now and three of them are doing great! They are getting pretty big and getting to big for their brooder. I have already moved the pullets out to the coop from the brooder, where I kept them together, but separated by a small piece of chicken wire. I want to move them all out together into the chicken coop where I feel they will be happier. My dilemma is that I have one chick that seems like she has yet to really grow. She is really little compared to the others and I worry that she is to small to go in and out of the coop into the run and won't be able to climb up the little ladder. I don't know what to do because she is the eating and drinking, but she just doesn't grow. I also am worried because she is bonded to the largest chick and is always cuddling and standing under her. Should I separate them? Should I move them all out and watch her closely and help her in and out of the coop? Does anyone have any ideas or wisdom to give?

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

I think you already have your answer and just don't know it. You can move them out there at the age they are. The biggest hurdle I think you will face is that the other pullets wont recognize them anymore and there may be some aggression as they bigger pullets know it as their home now.

I would do it and keep a close watch on them. Give the littler ones places to hide and make sure to have multiple food and water stations available so no one is deprived of either. I would place a piece of plywood (properly secured to prevent falling over of course) and have some food and water behind it too. If the big ones cannot see the little ones eating they wont drive them off the feeder is the theory there.

Is the littlest one perhaps a bantam?

3. goindutch

goindutch New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    Yes the littlest is a bantam! I have a total of three bantams. Two of them have grown, but the littlest just doesn't seem to be growing!

Okay I will make sure to place hiding spots and extra food in the coop and run. If the bigger ones start to pick on the littles should I separate them? Thank you so much for your insight and wisdom. I don't really wanna do the wrong thing.

4. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Yes if there is the threat of injury to the chicks you should separate them. This can be done so they can be seen and get used to each other again.
    I use and keep on hand a plastic fencing for just such needs. It wont keep predators out but works well at separating a space inside the run or coop or both if needed.
    This link is the same stuff I have dividing my old hens from my one year olds. It has been up for an entire year without falling apart. That is why I am sold on using it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-3-ft-x-25-ft-Green-Plastic-Garden-Fence-889250EB
    /205936171

Are your bantams all the same breed of bantam? I have some that are Bantam but not so bantam in size compared to other bantam breeds like Japanese Black Tail.

5. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Oh and expect some pecking to happen it is natural and in fact needed. They don't call it the "pecking order" for nothin.

They will all have to find their place within this order and it may surprise you how it works out.

My smallest bantam is the head hen in with Brahma and Buff Orpingtons.

6. goindutch

goindutch New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    I am not sure exactly what breed of bantam's they are. I got them at a feed store and I believe it was a mix of bantams, because I ended up with a booted bantam and two unknown types of bantams.

7. goindutch

goindutch New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    Okay! Thats really good to know. I will watch out for threat of injury, but not stress over a little pecking. They got along very well prior to being separated again, so I hope the transition goes well this time also.

8. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Update on how things are going and if you run into troubles know that there are lots of folks here wiling to give what help they can.

I think you will be fine and so will they. Of course post some pics when you can as lots of people on here know bantam breeds very well and can help you ID what you have and any special needs they may have for winter.

Best wishes,
    Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by