Can I move my chicks outside with a heat lamp at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Allie Grace Sanders, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    I have 20 chicks and three ducks. The chicks are three weeks old w/ almost all feathers. The ducks are two weeks old w/ almost no feathers, but don’t like heat. The duck’s lamp quit working, but the chick’s is still working. The garage smells awful, and family members are getting annoyed. The lowest nighttime temp this week is 21, but they would have a heat lamp. The building is a chicken tractor that is half exposed to the elements, half not. Could the ducks and the chicks be together? They will have a real coop soon, but we are finishing it up now. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Allie

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How big is this chicken tractor? I wouldn't put 20 chicks in anything smaller than 3x10. They are a bit young to be outside without protection from the weather, and how would you safely attach a heat lamp that would also be exposed to the elements? Chicks that young won't go inside if necessary. I'm not even gonna mention the ducks until I hear how big this tractor is and where it's located.

3. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    I don't know how big it is. We raised 20 meat birds in it if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: