CAN I MOVE MY SETTING BLACK LANGSHAN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grichard, Apr 26, 2016.

1. grichard

grichard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    She started setting 4 days ago should I also giver her food or water[​IMG]

2. grichard

Apr 19, 2016
    She seems persistent she was chased of but still came back

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is near impossible to move most setting hens, they will return to the spot, but not necessarily the eggs. A small percentage can be moved and will actually be looking for the eggs, you can try but be prepared to put her back.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've had success___ and failures___ moving setting hens. The simplest solution would be fencing her in where she is, if there's a way to have her safe there. What works best for me; have a large dog crate, or familiar but private safe place, all set up with bedding, food, and water. Late at night, with a very small flashlight, move her and her eggs to the new location, and creep quietly away. Don't let her out if she complains the next couple of days, as long as she's setting most of the time. I've had one success this spring, and one failure, when the hen spilled her water all over the crate. Mary

5. grichard

Apr 19, 2016
    Ok we'll see how it goes I'll keep u updated

6. grichard

Apr 19, 2016
    Well I moved her into a dog kennel with all her eggs and she wants to get out now [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Give her some time.

I moved a broody once, put her in another enclosure with a portable floor nest and some fake eggs.
    She steamed and squawked and paced for the whole day, then settled in to the nest.
    I waited another 24 hours and gave her some fresh fertile eggs....3 weeks later 7 out of 7 hatched.

She should have feed and water in there and enough room to get up and stretch and poop.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  8. grichard

Apr 19, 2016
    Good news she's back on laying in her cage with her eggs I have no idea on how she can fit 20 eggs under her

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Good! That crate needs to be in a predator proof place, or wrapped in well secured hardware cloth! A raccoon can reach in and tear her apart! Her chicks will be able to escape and be killed too. Bitter experience here... Mary

1 person likes this.
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Thank you Mary, for teaching me something new, I will be sure to try this, I've never tried confining them before, sometimes things just don't occur to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by