Can I move the babies out now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peeps7, Oct 28, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have 19 almost 5 week old chicks and I was just wondering(since it's getting colder) if I could put them OUTSIDE in their BROODER BOX with the heat lamp.?

2. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    ANYBODY?????

3. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    I KEEP MINE UP UNTIL THEY ARE FULLY FEATHERED. THEN WHEN I DO PUT THEM OUT I COVER THREE SIDES TO KEEP OUT THE WIND.IM IN UPSTATE OF SC SO ITS ALITTLE COOLER IN NC .I HAVE 5 CHICKS ABOUT 4 WEEKS OLD I STILL GOT MINE UP. I THINK IN ANOTHER 2 WEEKS I WILL PUT THEM OUT. THEY ARE ALMOST FULLY FEATHERED NOW.BUT WHEN I PUT MINE OUT THEY DONT GET A HEAT LAMP.IF U HAVE THE HEAT LAMP ON THEM OUTSIDE THEY WILL BE FINE NOW.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    depending on how cold it is .at 6 weeks they usually have thier feathers and can put up with the weather without heat

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Sorry I don't know HOW cold it is where you are.

Mine are about 10 weeks old, and been outside for a while, but back then it was pretty warm at night - in the 40-50 range... I didn't put a heat lamp in - and they're fine, there are 12 total chickens in my coop.
    Right now we've had lows of 28 - and they're ok, but they are fully feathered..

6. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    HI Peeps... suppose it depends on alot, but I waited till mine were 8 weeks before moving them out to the coop with a heat lamp, but its already down to in the mid 20's here [​IMG]
    I read somewhere as loing as they have ALL of their feathers they can handle some cold..
    Denna

7. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Well they are kinda stinking up the house and dad says they need to go outside ASAP!!! So if I insulated the brooder box some and then put the heat lamp on then they should be fine right?

8. nickki99

nickki99 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Peeps7, I think they should be fine. I have 2 out with a heat light and they have been fine. It is chilly out at night. Seems cold after the blistering heat this summer.

9. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    Mine have been outside on my screened porch since they were 2 1/2 weeks old.

I made an intermediate home for them with a wire animal cage that I attached cardboard sheathing to (with zip ties) on one end, and left open on the other end. If it's really cold or windy, I will drape an old cloth shower curtain over the open end to keep out drafts.

I think this has made their feathers come in quicker. They are fully feathered at 4 weeks, except for under the wings. They are even getting fine head feathers. They hunker together on a roost under the light at night, but they aren't stressed about it.

I plan to have them all the way out in their outdoor coop (with a lamp) by next weekend, so they'll be used to it before we go out of town for Thanksgiving.

The one thing you need to be sure to do is secure them from predators. Mine are sealed in a locked cage on a secure screened porch, so the feral neighborhood cats can't get at them. If your brooder is secure from predators, and you are confident in the light and other warmth, they should be fine.

10. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    mine are 5 weeks old and outside no lamp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by