Can I move the girls into the garage?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terrifish, Apr 8, 2016.

1. terrifish

terrifish New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    I have 7 chicks that are 3 weeks old. They have been inside the house in a guinea pig cage since I brought them home. I am really wanting to move them into the garage as they are a) getting big and outgrowing the cage and b) creating lots of dust/mess/smell. (and yes, I am changing the litter)

Are they old enough to move to my unheated garage? I live in Michigan and we are currently experiencing a very cold spring. The forecast calls for 3-5" of snow on Sunday night! I have a deck box that I can put them in with wire mesh on top. I plan to move the heat lamp outside too. Can I do it now or should I wait a few more days? (It is supposed to be mid 40's next week with lows in the 30's) I just don't want the new kids to freeze out there!

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Terri

2. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    I'm on a mountain in NH and our nights the last few days have been 10-20F and days 20-45F
    My house is 57-59 my almost 6 week old stopped using their heat pad around 5 weeks, my 2 weeks old still sleep under the heat plate all the time

I won't be moving anyone outside til the nights are consistently no colder than 40

I have 8 2 week old in a 29x29" pen and the 6 week olds are in a 4x4' pen. both are in my office lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by