Can I move them outside now?

pearlinoyster8

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
I have two 4 week old chicks in with my mostly 7 week old flock. The month-old chicks have feathers on their wings, tail feathers, chest feathers and some feathers down the middle of their backs. Under their wings and heads and necks is still fuzzy.

The 7 weekers are pretty much fully feathered, some fuzz left on their heads and necks.

The 10 day forecast calls for 70s and 80s fahrenheit during the day and mid 50s at night.

I'm eager to get them into the coop so I can interact with them more. The way I have the brooder set up it is difficult for me to get them in and out.

What would you do?

What I did do was to wait one more week. At 5 weeks, the head feathers were in so as long as the wings were down, she was fully covered. She did fine then
big_smile.png

As long as their out of drafts at nite I'd move them out, they will be fine . At that age their all going to pile up in a corner at nite anyway so they'll be warm enough.

Thanks for the advice. I might be able to run a heat lamp out to the coop with an extension cord too...

I moved them out to the coop yesterday. Wondered if I made the right choice when it started raining last night (unseasonable for June in this area!) but they stayed dry and warm even without a heat lamp.
smile.png
May be back later to post pics!

Quote:
we are in the same boat as you...our chicks turn 6 weeks on wednesday and i think that is when we will put them out...our lows at night have been around 56-58 but I will put alot of pine shavings and I see a spot already that they will most likely pile onto.

Mine just turned four weeks and I booted them outside yesterday. I close them up at night in an insulated draft free hen house. We have similar weather: high 80's during the day and 50's at night.

Back
Top Bottom