can i move them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sortrua25, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Sortrua25

Sortrua25 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Hello, my name is sort and i have raised baby chicks before but my moms chickens have started hatching their own eggs. 1 hatched so far and we have 2 hens sitting. But my mom has to move on the 5th of november and has asked me to make the 3 hour drive to get them and bring them home with me... But with them sitting on their eggs im afraid to move them....what can i do?? My mom cant keep the chickens where she is moving.. Need help please :-(

2. Sortrua25

Sortrua25 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    I will also be taking a tom turkey a rooster and 6 hens.. We only have a little ford ranger for transporting so thats another problem.. Not sure the best way we can transport them safely..

3. Sortrua25

Sortrua25 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    New Mexico
    Please can anyone help me??

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Do you have any dog crates? You could put some hay or shavings in a dog crate and put the broodies and their eggs into the crate and let them sit on them for the ride there. Or get some large boxes and punch a lot of holes in them perhaps, so they can breath comfortably and it will remain slightly (but not completely) dark.

Take some blankets just in case they decide not to, and you can wrap the eggs with the blankets in the interum.

The hens *should* continue to set on the eggs once you move them, but be prepared for them to give them up. Moving can be very stressful on chickens, and it might "break" a broody right out of her broodiness.

Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by