1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I only wait 9 hours???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I got my eggs today from fredster and I was wondering if I can just leave them rest for 9 hours or do I have to wait longer?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    From what I have read most say at least 12 hours some say 24 hours and a few say just till there room temp, If you want to give them the best chance I would go with at least 12 hours thats only 5 more hours [​IMG] and if that makes it past youre bed time then just put them in when you wake up in the morning [​IMG]
    Good luck

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It is to try to get them to come up to the correct room temp before setting incase they have gotten cold while shipping and to help the air cell settle back to normal. I wait 8 to 10 with mine and set in the evenings.

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    They've been in room temperature for a while now but i'll wait till I come back from the store or when 10 hrs passes

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    ok its about to pass to 11 hrs. can I place them in the bator now? or do I have to wait LONGER????

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Oh go ahead lol [​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I"ve been waiting for this time!! xD since 12pm! and finally [​IMG] one more question, when I add the eggs to the bator will the humidity rise? I have a LG still air incubator and later I heard that when you place eggs in the middle they don't grow? is that correct? [​IMG]

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I can only speak from my experance, I have all my eggs in cut down cartons I place the cartons in the bator and although i tilt the bator itself every day I go in and rotate the cartons , so the two eggs on the outside are the then the two eggs on the inside. does that make sens I also move the bottom carton to the top. I know that sounds confuseing and you probly dont have to its just what I do to help with the warm and cool spots so far most of my eggs are fine pretty much.
    And my humidity did go up a little but it didnt stay up to long I didnt worry about it.
    Good luck [​IMG]

Ops sorry I forgot to mention the temp drop , yeah dont touch the knob unless it spikes up just let it settle.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    in lg's the temp will go down and the humidty will go up, so when i set my eggs i do not adjust the temp or humidty for at least 12 hours after setting of the eggs. good luck william

10. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I hatch shipped eggs all the time. I use to just let them sit and settle for eight to ten hours. I had a lot of probs with air sacs and the hatches were not good. I started letting them settle for twenty four hours and the hatch rate more then doubled. Its up to you but mine now sit for twenty four. I just had a shipped egg hatch of 95% so dont know if that is the reason or not but it works for me and the shipped eggs need all the help they can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by