1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can I paint my baby chicks' toenails?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by animallover505, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I'm about to get about 45 chicks. Can I paint their toenails to tell them apart? Or would there be a better way?

2. ashl768

ashl768 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Lol I considered this too, surely it would be ok... Any experts opinions? Gotta be less annoying than a zip tie or band around the ankle....??

3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Try to avoid red... Chickens like to peck at blood spots

4. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    I was going to mention the same thing... even when my girls were chicks, they would go mad pecking at my daughters fingernail paint. I think it would make for some mad toe picking!

They have chick leg bands.. maybe that is a bit better?

MB

5. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I have done this. And would encourage you to find a better way to do it. My experience was it was very hard to put on as you hve to hold them and wait for them to dry with feet kicking up etc. then the next day I went in and half of them had lost their color. I did blue and pink for boys vs girls (my guesses) but most of the times it didn't last 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by