Can I pick the egg's up???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DylHayd, Sep 6, 2010.

1. DylHayd

DylHayd New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    My broody hen is on day 18/19 of sitting. If I catch her off of them over the next couple days, can I pick them up to listen for peeps? I read somewhere that they shouldn't be turned or disturbed after day 18. [​IMG]

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Correct! DO NOT MOVE THEM AFTER DAY 18!!! The chick is postitoning itself for hatching! I d leave em alone!

BTW [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes you can hear the peeps even while they are under her. But I agree, let her do her thing. It's probably a bit soon anyhow.

Did you know it can take them a few hours to hatch? I've watched them hatch more than once, just checking often.

4. DylHayd

DylHayd New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    This momma rarely gets off of them...or she is doing it when I don't see it. I only work 2 days a week, so Im home most of the time..and I only see her off of them about every other day or more. Yesterday I tried putting them up to my hear to hear peeps, but didn't hear anything. I just pray atleast one hatches.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It should be too early to hear anything.

I have actually heard peeping coming from under the hen. I thought there were chicks there, so I picked her up a little, and they were all still in the shell, so of course I put her right back down. There may have been a pip or crack but I was afraid to hold her up any longer to find out. This was on day 20.

6. DylHayd

DylHayd New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    I can't believe people even touch the momma's.... my hen seems like she would peck my eye balls out if I messed with her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by