1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I please get some advice about French Black Copper Maran's??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Little Country Farm, Nov 2, 2011.

1. The Little Country Farm

The Little Country Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    So sorry to post this in the wrong place. I posted it in the "breeds' section but it got looked over and ignored [​IMG] I am really just looking for some answers. Here's what I wrote if anyone can help me out. "Hi, I'm new here and to the FBCM's breed. I just got 4 hens and a roo about 2 weeks ago and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the hens are suppose to all have the copper color feathers around their necks? I have 2 hens that do have the copper neck feathering and 2 hens the are only black no copper what so ever. Could they not even be a true FBCM? They all have the leg feathering including the roo. Thanks in advance! Mandi [​IMG]"

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Hi Mandi! I am no expert by any means but I believe BCM hens can be "pure" and show no copper (I have one). Can you post some pics? I saw your post on the Maran's thread and sorry it got overlooked. Try posting pics if you can on the Black Copper Marans thread instead of the Marans thread.

Rosanna

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Maybe it wasn't overlooked as much as no one had the answer. I know I don't. I don't have any of that breed.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Feel free to gently ask again in the Black Copper thread. It's a very fast-moving thread.

If your hens do not show coppering in their hackles, they are what is called "overmelanised" You do not state how old they are - they often do not get their copper hackles in until 7-8 months or sometimes even later. It's a brand new breed to the U.S., only having been approved by the APA in April of this year, so there are lots & lots of birds out there that are not yet close to the standard.

5. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    From my limited experience, the black ones are BCMs; just not show quality. The hens should have copper necks, and feathers only on the outsides of their legs/feet (as opposed to the insides [​IMG] ) You know what I mean.

Angela

6. The Little Country Farm

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will post in the black copper tread and when I do I will put in some pics. The hens are suppose to be around 8ish months old from what the guy told me that I bought them from. He also said they haven't started laying yet.

7. The Little Country Farm

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    I haven't got the chance to post to the other group yet but was still hoping you guys could take a look at them.
    1st and 2nd pics is of the hens that do have the copper feathering and the 3rd and 4th pics are of the ones that don't.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, the first one to me look more like a copper blue - she looks like her breast is very dark blue, as I can see lacing. The copper in her hackles is appropriate for the breed, though she does not have very good type.

The solid black is more than likely a black copper, as the solid blacks are hard to find (she would be a black copper but the copper is "covered up" which is called overmelanised - but, she'd be carrying the copper gene). She would be disqualified due to her white lobes.

But, if you're just looking for some pretty eggs....they'll probably do the job for you!

9. The Little Country Farm

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Thank you! I'm not intending to ever show a bird just wanting to know what kind they are. Since I haven't gotten any eggs yet I wasn't sure. I think the last pics of the black hen is the same hen (used pics from 2 weeks ago) The other black hen I have doesn't have white lobes. Hers are the same color as her comb. Thanks again!! [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You are most welcome! They are a wonderful breed, I'm sure you'll really enjoy having them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by