CAN I PLEASE GET SOME HELP!!!!!! Do I PUT BOTH RED PLUGS IN??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackSwampGirl, Mar 18, 2012.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Just put my Silkie Eggs in Lockdown and do I put both red plugs in?????? I have filled the troughs up w/water and I don`t want to loose these . It is holding at 99.5-100.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I've always left mine in for the whole time. If I'm not mistaken, they may help with the humidity control. I've only done 3 hatches so far, and they all came out fine. HTH. Good Luck!

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    If you're having trouble keeping humidity or temps up, you could keep them in. I usually leave mine out because I want them to have plenty of air.

4. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    I only use my Little Giant for a hatcher. I leave one red plug in. To keep the humidity high for hatching, I add four sponges around the perimeter, under the wire, and also roll up a couple of paper towels in the water troughs. Then I line the top of the wire with more paper towels, which also helps with cleanup. I add water once during the three days of lockdown with a straw and a syringe through the vent holes. I keep it around 75% humidity this way, and have pretty good hatches, 75-100% with my own eggs.

5. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Thanks so much for the info.I got both red plugs in the bator.And [​IMG] that I will hear something soon.But I got some Mille Fleur`s that have already hatched. Tomorrow they will be a week old.So they are peeping up a storm.Very hard to hear when others start to hatch out. [​IMG],,,,Thanks again,Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by