Can I please see your pictures of Columbian & Silver Laced Wyandottes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly G, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

OK So, I'm ready to add to my flock, and I'm close to placing my order for chicks. My dilemma is choosing between Columbian Wyandottes and Silver Laced Wyandottes - I'm just ordering pullets.

I see all the pretty pictures of what they both SHOULD look like, but I want to know what they really look like when ordered from Ideal, McMurray, etc. My Barred Rocks from Ideal look pretty close to their illustration...but I'm curious about the Wyandottes...and I can't WAIT to get them!

I know not all the chickens look just like the drawings/illustrations they have on their websites, so can I see what yours look like??

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Ooh, IMHO, get the Silver Laced, because they are so pretty!

3. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    These are babies of silver laced wyandottes that I hatched out two days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are their parents
    [​IMG]

I have both golden and silver laced wyandottes and I love them both. So good luck in your decision. Why not have both?

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Here are a couple of our SLW girls and our GLW rooster. The GLWs are very colorful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are from Privetts' in NM.

5. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i just ordered the golden laced from ideal, i think they look the best.

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Most standard wyandottes from hatcherys unfortunatly are poor quality. With some the color pattern is acceptable but body type is off.

7. Kelly G

Quote:Yes, I'm aware of this. I see it with my Barred Rocks when I read the standard and then look at my birds.

I'm going to check out our state fair in 3 weeks to see what I can find that might also be for sale, but I don't want to gain adherence to the breed standard only to lose in egg production, as my primary reason for this is for the eggs, and a not-so-distant second is to have really neat chickens. As always, there has to be a balance - and that seems ever the endeavor.

I'm still looking to see anyone Columbian Wyandottes!

8. Kelly G

Quote:I love your birds! The babies are just darling! I just may end up getting both...but I wanted to see what they really looked like before deciding.

9. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    BYC Turbo has the best quality Silver and blue andBLRW I have ever seen. He sells eggs I have some simmering in bator now .

10. Kelly G

Quote:These are gorgeous! And your rooster looks like the ones from my childhood books & memories! I'm afraid of getting a rooster, though - with my luck I'd get a really nasty one and have to find a home for him :-( I have a riding program with a ton of kids...and I can't have a mean roo chasing off my business!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by