Can I put 1 week old chicks with new 2 day old chicks in brooder together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Piperlu, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Piperlu

Piperlu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    We got 6 chicks last Friday that were 2 days old (roughly) 3 Dixie rainbow, 1 naked neck and 2 unknowns. We just got 6 more 2 day old chicks today, all Bantams. The Bantams are so much smaller than the others. Can we put them in the same brooder or do they need to be separated for a few weeks? If separated, at what point can you put them together?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I was all ready to type go ahead and put em together, then you said they are bantams. I'd personally leave them separate for a few weeks.

I had 6 week old and 2 day old blue americaunas together from the day I bought them, and there was absolutely no problems at all. The bigger ones, at 3 and 4 weeks respectively, didn't really seem to care when I brought home 3 2 week olds and 3 week olds and put in with them. I separated them after a couple of days, because they'd all drink from the lower coke bottles, instead of the bigger ones drinking what they could reach, HAHA.......

the bigger ones have been in the coop for a week, we have a cold snap coming this weekend, by mid week it'll be warmed up enough I'm moving them all outside, time to get them out of the kitchen!

3. Piperlu

Piperlu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. We put them all together last night and everyone is doing great. We are going to move them to a larger brooder this weekend as they are a tad crowded. I will update on their progress. Now we are just trying to figure out exactly what Bantams we have! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by