Can I put 12 day old quail chicks in the chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dianneS, Feb 16, 2017.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Can I move my brooder full of quail chicks out to the hen house with a heat lamp, or should I keep them in the house a little longer? It is cold here, but I would keep the heat lamp on them 24/7. They are really starting to feather out now. They're the jumbo white coturnix.

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I think that would be pretty cold but I don't know your setup like how drafty the hen house is, also it's not recommended to keep quail near chickens/where they've been because sometimes chickens carry diseases that are only symptomatic in quail in case you didn't know :]

3. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I ended up moving them to the heated garage. The ambient temp is 60 and they still have their heat lamp of course. I think I may move them to my greenhouse when they're older. I never thought of it before, but it would make a perfect brooder! Not at all drafty and plenty warm on sunny days. Lots of hooks to hang heat lamps from. Only problem I could see is they might jump up on my shelving and poop everywhere? So maybe not...

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hehe when they're young they like to do flap spazzes that lift them up and about xD so they could definitely end up on shelves :p

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by